Interlochen Arts Academy Creative Writing
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
VIRGINIA B. BALL CREATIVE WRITING COMPETITION CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS!
Interlochen Arts Academy is now accepting submissions for the Virginia B. Ball Creative Writing Scholarship Competition. For the first time, this biennial scholarship offers full tuition to its winner, renewable for each year they attend Interlochen Arts Academy. The Scholarship is made possible by the Edmund F. and Virginia B. Ball Foundation.
Please visit our website to learn more about Creative Writing at Interlochen Arts Academy.
To learn more about the competition, please visit write.interlochen.org.
If you have any questions about the competition, please email us at email@example.com.
1) The contest is open to students who are in grades 8–11 during the 2018-19 school year.
2) Students must submit writing samples in at least two of the following genres: fiction, poetry, personal essay/memoir, screenwriting, playwriting, and hybrid genre. You should submit no more than 5 pieces total.
- Poetry: Your sample should include 1-4 poems.
- Fiction: Your sample should include 1-3 stories, novel or story excerpts, or flash fiction pieces. Each piece should be fewer than 3500 words.
- Personal essay/memoir: Your sample should include 1-3 essays. Each piece should be fewer than 3500 words.
- Screenwriting: Your sample should be fewer than 20 pages.
- Playwriting: Your sample should be fewer than 20 pages.
- Hybrid Genre: Your sample should include 1-3 hybrid genre pieces. Each piece should be fewer than 3500 words.
3) For each genre you submit, please save the work in a PDF or .docx file with the name of that genre. For example, if you are submitting poetry and personal essay, you should create separate PDF or .docx files titled "poetry" and "personal essay." To preserve the anonymity of entries, please do not include your name within the document or the file name.
4) Complete the entry form and upload your pieces online by Dec. 7, 2018 using our submission portal.
5) Submissions will be accepted until Dec. 7, 2018, midnight Eastern Standard Time.
6) Twenty-five contest finalists will be selected and notified no later than Dec. 20, 2018. Should you be selected as a finalist, you will be required to fill out a formal application to Interlochen Arts Academy no later than Feb. 1, 2019.
7) The first prize scholarship will cover full tuition to attend Interlochen Academy.
8) Winner will be announced no later than Apr. 1, 2019.
9) If submissions do not meet the standards set by the judges, Interlochen Center for the Arts reserves the right to designate no first prize winner and award no scholarship.
10) Students currently enrolled at Interlochen Arts Academy are ineligible for this contest.
The submissions windows for 2018 issue of The Interlochen Review is now closed. We will be accepting submissions for the 2019 issue from February 1-March 1 2019. You can explore the 2018 issue at www.interlochenreview.org.